Monday 14 October 2013

Westcliff on Sea - St Saviour

Locked no keyholder. I rather, against my better judgement, liked St Saviour for reasons which elude me. Built in 1910-11, and consecrated on 21st July 1911, in yellow brick and expanded in the 20's and 30's - on the face of it there's nothing particularly to like here; I think it's the clean lines and maritime feel that attracts.

I'm ambivalent regarding its locked status, on the one hand I don't think it would be of any interest but on the other there might be some good glass; we'll never know.

Neither Pevsner nor Mee mention her* but I did find this.

St Saviour (2)


* I know that the dedication is to Jesus (technically it should be Holy Saviour rather than St Saviour) and that therefore this should be he rather than her but I think most churches, like ships and cars, are female rather than male - although Saxon and Norman buildings are exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment