Tuesday 15 October 2013

Leigh on Sea - St Margaret of Antioch

Oh dear. Locked no keyholder. Apparently the south door is open (but this is not made at all clear) and I've had my hand slapped by Fr Booth. He is, of course, correct in implying that I should have checked all the doors but, in my defence, I found the brutal architecture of the exterior so ugly that all I wanted to do was get away - and anyway the church, in my opinion, appears so unwelcoming as to positively discourage exploration.

ST MARGARET, Lime Avenue, Leigh. 1931 by Sir Charles Nicholson. A remarkably restful interior with arcade of Tuscan columns, or rather circular piers without entasis. Apse at the E end, open timber roof, lightly painted. The exterior also points to Early Christian inspiration.

St Margaret of Antioch (2)

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear Information quite wrong - church is open via south door.
    Please check before making incorrect comments.

    ReplyDelete