Monday 16 September 2013

Little Clacton

St James is usually locked with no keyholder listed but a nice lady watering the flowers noticed me in the churchyard and let me in for interiors. Whilst not terribly exciting it's light and airy and there are early 1960s oak pews, an early Purbeck font and some good glass - this was one of the more interesting Tendring churches.

ST JAMES. Nave, chancel, belfry; all plastered. In the chancel a Norman N window, in the nave a plain Norman doorway. Timber S porch, sturdy and unadorned. The belfry stands on four posts with tie-beams and curved braces. - FONT. Of the square Purbeck type; with four blank shallow round-headed arches on each side, late C12.

S chancel window (2)

S nave window (2)

S nave window (6)

LITTLE CLACTON. A neat group of houses lines a wide road running to the sea. Facing the little green at a bend in the road is the plaster-covered church, with a quaint 15th century timber turret containing three bells, one almost as old as Agincourt. A small Norman window in the chancel suggests that the building is as old as St Osyth Priory a few miles away. The font is also Norman.

3 comments:

  1. I went here yesterday, my 100th Essex church! (well, unless I count Bradwell on Sea St. Peter on the Wall, which I'm told I have been in, but have no recollection of going there as I was about 2 or 3 at the time!). It is open some Tuesdays, the first Saturday of the month between February and November for coffee mornings and summer Sunday afternoons. Other times the key is available from the vicarage over the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a new policy (good) since September last year when the churchwarden told me it was usually locked. I'm glad they now have it open, even if it is only occasionally, and more importantly now list the keyholder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All listed on www.littleclactonparishchurch.co.uk

      Delete