Sunday 3 February 2013

Sewards End

Having finished earlier than expected, despite Princess Anne's interference, I decided to do three local churches whilst the sun shone, the first of which was St James in Sewards End.

Neither Pevsner nor Mee has an entry for Sewards End and I have to admit that, despite living more or less alongside it for six years, I never noticed its oddness.

To start is its semi hexagonal apse, then there's the Norman lancet windows and to finish off it has a four legged bellcote the like of which I've never seen and  to end with the extension is a mismatch from hell.

Hats off, however, to a church that appears to be still in regular use.

P1318971 

The other two, Wendens Loft's ruin and St Helen's chapel eluded me - next time I'll go with postcodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment